Electronic is one of the vast industries, experiencing new developments and technologies every day. Meanwhile, a digital multimeter is the most important tool for any electronic enthusiast or hobbyist. Without a multimeter, their job remains incomplete when troubleshooting any electrical equipment. The best multimeter for electronics will strengthen technicians with confidence. However, multimeters are not only used by enthusiasts but also by other professionals.
A basic multimeter present in your toolkit may not be capable of dealing with electronics. Consequently, you may end up with incorrect measurements and false repairing. A multimeter is a device used for measuring voltage, measure resistance current and to analyze your project. And you cannot expect any fault in the readings here. Ultimately, our best multimeter for home use and electronics reviews will solve your needs happily.
The market is loaded with many multimeters, and it’s a challenge to find the best one. In this article, we’re going to look at the best multimeter for your money in 2021. All these models come with a lot of features and functions and are best suited for electronic purposes. So, stay tuned with us to bring home the circuit tester.
Table of Contents
- Top-10 Best Multimeter for Electronics Engineers:
- 1. Best Multimeter For Electronics Technicians – Fluke 287 True-RMS Multimeter:
- 2. Best Budget Multimeter – KAIWEETS TRMS 6000 Digital Multimeter:
- 3. Best Multimeter For Professionals – Klein Tools MM700 Auto-Ranging 1000V Multimeter:
- 4. Best Multimeter With Temperature Indicator – Fluke 179 ESFP with Backlight:
- 5. Best Mini Circuit Tester For Techies – Extech EX330 Multimeter:
- 6. Klein Tools MM400 Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter:
- 7. Best Multimeter for Electronics DIYer’s – AstroAI Digital TRMS Multimeter:
- 8. Best VOM For Professional Usage – Innova 3340 Automotive Digital Multimeter:
- 9.Best Multimeter for Electricians – Fluke 117 RMS Multimeter:
- 10. Best Multimeter for Small Electronics Repair – WeePro Vpro850L Digital Multimeter:
- Buying Guide For Best Multimeter for Electronics:
Top-10 Best Multimeter for Electronics Engineers:
Beginning with Fluke 287, it’s a high-level electronics logging multimeter offering more accuracy and convenience. The brand ‘Fluke’ comes with a tagline – “See it. Save it. Share it.” It’s capable of solving complex problems in electronics, electro-mechanical, plant automation, and others.
In terms of specifications, Fluke 287 allows a large count of up to 50,000. In contrast, the ¼ VGA dot matrix display with a white backlight produces clear and sharp readings. It can display multiple readings simultaneously. Additionally, it plots measurements on a single line to find out signal anomalies.
This multimeter supported the Fluke Connect app and enabled test tools, which allow users to view multiple measurements from up to 20 ft. away from the testing location. It enhances your personal safety level. All you need is a smartphone.
Users can share live readings and thermal images with their colleagues at other work locations. It is useful in knowing to troubleshoot and fixing it in no time. It also has data logging features that allow you to record both maximum and minimum values. You can obtain these values from any multimeter.
Along with the main unit, buyers will get test leads, alligator clips, 6 AA batteries (installed), a holster, and a manual guide. The rubberized corner guards will maintain the device stable. Overall, it’s a fantastic electronic multimeter for buyers.
- Comes with the mobile app connectivity.
- Includes some advanced features for professionals.
- Accurate and trusted measurements.
- Backed by various safety and other certifications.
- Backlight LCD display does the job perfectly.
- Don’t have any USB connection.
KAIWEETS is a popular name in the industry, known for manufacturing top-notch hand tools. The KAIWEETS TRMS Digital Multimeter is another popular device (with 5000+ reviews) available on Amazon. It’s a highly recommended multimeter for buyers who require a comprehensive tool, but for a reasonable price.
KAIWEETS TRMS Digital Multimeter provides a wide range of applications for measuring AC/DC voltage, AC/DC current, frequency, capacitance, resistance, diodes, continuity, wiring, liquid temperature, and duty cycle. The 2.9″ LCD backlight display will show dual readings with a bar graph.
In terms of safety, the IEC of the device has received CAT III 1000V, CAT IV 600V, CE, RoHS certifications. It also comes with an anti-burn design that prevents your device while reaching higher voltage. The double insulation design with silicone protective case boasts overall durability.
KAIWEETS TRMS is an affordable multimeter yet allows you to measure the temperature of an object. It is capable of assessing heat levels between -4⁰ to 1832⁰ Fahrenheit. Instant temperature measurement will assist you in troubleshooting any issue without checking every component.
Finally, KAIWEETS TRMS Digital Multimeter comes with some other essential features like auto shut-off, low-battery indicator, auto-ranging, data holding system, kickstand, and many more. A kickstand allows you to place the device at your workstation, leaving both hands free. Overall, it’s one of the best multimeters for home use as well as electronics.
- It has auto-ranging and auto shut-off features.
- Extremely easy to use and had plenty of applications.
- Overload protection keeps the device safe.
- It has a large LCD display and battery indicator system.
- Comes with an impressive 3-year warranty.
- The screen backlight turns off too quickly.
Klein Tools is an American manufacturer known for producing professional-grade, high-quality hand tools for more than 160 years. Excellent products that stand up to meet the needs of every enthusiast or professional. Klein Tools MM700 is another popular multimeter that delivers performance, precision, and durability.
The automatic ranging True Root Mean Square (TRMS) technology will provide accurate measurements every time. It’ll measure both AC & DC current fast and accurate at 10A. Users may also use this multimeter for measuring resistance, temperature, frequency, diode testing, duty-cycle, and continuity.
Klein Tools MM700 can measure a maximum of 1000V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current, and 40M resistance and temperature. It’s an ideal multimeter to be used in basic and controlled electromagnetic environments, like homes, businesses, and small-scale industrial areas.
You don’t need to worry about battery life as it comes with a low battery indicator. The battery is easy to access, which will not trouble you while changing them. There’s a separate fuse replacement compartment to fix any fault. From the safety point of view, it comes with the CAT IV 600V safety rating.
Along with the multimeter, buyers will also receive a carrying pouch, alligator clips, test leads, thermocouple, and batteries. It’ll also stay strong against causal wear and tear in the workstation. Overall, it’s a good deal to grab.
- It comes with the CAT IV 600V safety rating.
- The low impedance (LoZ) identifies and eliminates stray voltages.
- Offers a maximum drop protection of up to 2 meters.
- It comes with the True-RMS feature.
- Low battery indicator keeps you in the game.
- Slightly slow on continuity/ranging.
Check out: Best Pool Automation System
We’ve another high-quality multimeter for our electronic enthusiasts, known as Fluke 179 ESFP True RMS Multimeter. Fluke is a popular name in the industry for many years, manufacturing consistent, accurate, reliable, and safe tools.
Fluke 179 is capable of measuring AC/DC voltage up to 1000V, AC/DC current up to 10A, resistance up to 50 MΩ, frequency up to 100 kHz, capacitance up to 10,000 μF, and temperature ranging between -40 ℃ and 400 ℃.
This multimeter features a backlit digital display with an analog bar graph for clear readings. Additionally, it also uses built-in temperature measurements with an included thermocouple. As the name suggests, the True RMS technology will help you in accurately measuring different electric functions.
In terms of safety, Fluke 179 ESFP True RMS Multimeter comes with various safety certifications. It is safe to use in CAT IV 600 V/CAT III 1000 V environments. The troubleshoot functions are safe and easy to use. It has proper automotive features and household settings for regular jobs.
It comes with an inbuilt thermometer and the 323 AC Current Clamp. They Hello you in dealing with the troubleshoot easily and effectively. The package contains a multimeter, 9V battery (installed), test leads, and user manual. Overall, it’s a fantastic option for buyers.
- This multimeter is easy and safe to operate
- The design of the unit is heavy and sturdy
- Does the job effectively and efficiently.
- The true-rms functionality is a useful addition
- Works in CAT IV 600 V/CAT III 1000 V environments
- The size of the digits is slightly smaller.
If you’re looking for a mini multimeter to troubleshoot your electrical needs, this Extech EX330 Multimeter is a solid option to consider. It is a fully-featured digital multimeter that includes two meters in one easy-read. All these features are enclosed in a conveniently-sized device, which is easy to use.
Extech EX330 Multimeter will allow you to measure AC/DC voltage up to 600 volts (with a 0.5 percent basic accuracy). Also, you can measure AC/DC current with high accuracy of up to 10 Amperes. Furthermore, it offers a total of 12 functionalities that include capacitance, frequency, duty cycle, and temperature.
As the name indicates, Extech EX330 is an auto-ranging multimeter that allows you to pick the appropriate measurements. It’s a useful asset when working with various peripherals (from small electronics to larger ones. The 2000-count LED display will show large 1-inch digits, making it visible even in dark areas.
There’s a non-contact, inbuilt AC voltage detector that alerts users using a combination of beep sound and red LED indicator lights. Another important feature is the ‘Max Hold,’ which allows you to capture the highest reading. While the ‘Data Hold’ function will freeze the current readings so that you can note them down.
To conserve battery, the multimeter will automatically turn off after 15 minutes of inactivity. It also comes with a relative measurement mode that takes readings relative to a stored reference value. This helps you to compare one stored value with another. Overall, it’s a great option for the price.
- Comes with an inbuilt thermometer with K-type probe.
- It can switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius readings.
- Comes with test leads, two AAA batteries, and user manual.
- Non-contact voltage detection for user’s safety.
- Auto-Ranging function is a good addition.
- We don’t find the backlit display that amazing.
Klein Tools are always good to use while measuring different electrical devices. This is the second Klein multimeter included in our best multimeter for electronics review. Klein Tools MM400 is a high-quality, auto-ranging digital multimeter that is designed by a group of experts. Let’s find out what it contains.
This multimeter allows electricians to measure up to 600V AC/DC voltage, 10A AC/DC current, and 40 MΩ resistance. It also measures temperature, capacitance, frequency, test diodes, continuity, and duty-cycle. Also, it is pretty durable that can withstand a maximum of the 3.3-foot drop.
Klein Tools MM400 is very easy and safe to use. It comes with an easy to assemble and sturdy design, making it safe for all-time use. Moreover, it has the CAT III 600V safety rating for your peace of mind. You’ll be all safe while using this tool.
To remain active all the time, Klein Tools MM400 comes with a low battery indicator that will notify you when the battery is low. It uses 2 AAA batteries, which are packed in an easy to access battery compartment. Users can easily replace the batteries whenever they want.
Klein Tools MM400 can be used in controlled electromagnetic environments, which is a good feature. Overall, it’s a great multimeter for home as well as business, and industrial areas. Finally, the Klein Tools MM400 will give a strong competition to other listed models in the review.
- Comes with a basic, safe, and sturdy design.
- It can withstand a 3.3-foot drop and daily wear & tear.
- It has the CAT III 600V safety rating.
- The low battery indicator will never let you sit idle.
- One of the best value-for-money multimeters.
- Comes with low-quality functions.
You may interested in: Best Ways To Automate Your Home
The brand ‘AstroAI’ comes with the tagline – “For All of Life’s Adventures.” The company promotes its customers to take risks and grow skills. AstroAI Digital TRMS Multimeter is one of the most popular multimeters available in the industry. It’s suitable for various users, including professionals and weekend DIYers.
This AstroAI Digital Multimeter features a large and bright digital display with a backlit LCD. It improves visibility while working in low-light conditions. There’s also a multi-function socket that one can use to measure both transistors and capacitors. It’s an excellent device for troubleshooting electrical problems.
AstroAI Digital Multimeter features inbuilt F400mA/600V and F10A/600V explosion-proof ceramic fuse tubes to keep you safe. It’s an intelligent anti-burn technique to prevent overloading damages and your multimeter. If you’re worried about safety issues, then AstroAI Multimeter will never let you down.
This digital multimeter comes with a lot of advanced functions that can measure almost everything. It allows you to measure resistance, voltage, current, capacitance, continuity, and frequency, all-in-one device. The hanging magnet and kickstand will enable users to have better control of the device and measure comfortably.
It also allows you to perform the temperature test. You need to place the thermocouple’s end to the object and wait for the readings to get settled. Now, note down the readings from the screen. Finally, it’s another high-quality digital multimeter available for buyers.
- Comes with a backlit display for better visibility.
- Easy to access battery compartment for its replacement.
- It has advanced functions and a separate thermocouple probe.
- Fully safe to use and tubes are explosion proof.
- Comes with the auto power feature for battery optimization.
- When you turn the dial, there’s a quite loud beep.
Innova 3340 is one of the most popular and common tools out of an electrician/technician toolkit. In terms of design and build quality, this is a multimeter like no other that can perform various functions. It could be one such multimeter that you’ve been looking for. Let’s find out more about Innova 3340 Multimeter.
The auto-ranging feature of Innova 3340 is beneficial for everyone, including electricians and beginners. It’s a really useful feature that allows you to take your desired measurements. All you’ve to do is press the ‘SEL’ button to switch between manual and auto-ranging function.
Your digital multimeter should have the best power-saving abilities. Most times, users forget to turn off their multimeter, leading to battery drainage in no time. The auto turn-off feature of Innova 3340 will be in action after 10 minutes of inactivity. Consequently, it’ll extend the battery life of your multimeter.
Innova 3340 comes with a unique Reverse Polarity Protection, which reduces the possible danger of shocks while working near electrical outlets. It also allows you to save the data (readings) for future usage. You’ve to use Min/Max and Hold buttons for saving measurement of any test.
Finally, Innova 3340 will cover all the basic requirements for a pro electrician or hobbyist. It’s a great tool for testing alternator diodes, wiring, switches, solenoids, breaker points, and duty cycle. You can also measure temperature using a temperature probe in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. Overall, it’s one of the best multimeters in the market.
- It comes with test lead holders for contactless measuring.
- The auto shut-off feature is good for battery.
- The auto-ranging function is again a necessary feature.
- Provides overload protection.
- It has a special feature called reverse polarity protection.
- Temperature probe feature is quite inconsistent.
We’re simply in love with the Fluke digital multimeters; while, the reason is quite obvious. Their robust design, excellent functionality, easy to use approach, and versatility can impress any DIYer. Fluke 117 Digital is the third electrician’s multimeter in our review, from the brand ‘Fluke.’
The main highlight of Fluke 117 is VoltAlert technology. It’s also known as the non-contact voltage detection system. When you’ve to detect voltage without using the test leads, you need to hover Fluke near electrical devices or outlets. You’ll receive a beep sound as the output.
Fluke 117 comes with the True RMS feature, an essential one for measuring accurate and correct readings on non-linear loads. The AutoVolt (AutoV) will also determine accurate AC/DC voltage without letting you perform extra steps. It allows users to measure voltage, continuity, capacitance, and frequency.
Another notable thing is the bright digital screen, which is large and easy to read. The white LED backlight will show you clear measurements in low-light areas. It turns on by the press of a button, which means you’ll save battery while working in a brighter environment.
Some additional features like low input impedance, CAT III 600 V safety certification, non-contact voltage detection, and compatibility with magnetic hanger makes it a top-quality product. In terms of specifications, Fluke 117 weighs 1.21 pounds and measures 6.57 x 3.31 x 1.81 inches. Overall, it’s a fantastic digital circuit tester for electronic lovers.
- Comes with the True RMS feature for accurate measurements.
- The LED backlight screen is bright and clear.
- Low input impedance prevents false readings.
- Non-contact and AutoVolt voltage system.
- Easy to use and long-lasting product.
- Display may lose contrast at certain angles.
Let’s end our top-list by summing up with WeePro Vpro850L Digital Multimeter. It’s an affordable, safe, reliable, and easy to use a multimeter for electronic enthusiasts. The company offers a 10-year warranty and lifetime technical support to its consumers. Also, it comes with a 90-day return refund guarantee.
This device is capable of dealing with almost every household and industrial need. It measures AC/DC voltage, ohm volt amp, capacitance, resistance, diode, and continuity. Whether it’s your domestic outlet, fuses, charging system, or batteries (including automotive), WeePoo Vpro850L will never disappoint you.
WeePro Vpro850L comes with a large 70 x 40mm digital display with an LCD backlight. There’s a separate button to turn on the backlight for better visibility in low-light areas. When not in use, you can also turn it off to save battery. The best display visual angle is about 70 degrees.
Another important function of WeePro Vpro850L is Data Hold, which allows users to hold the display readings even when the device is disconnected. You can press the white-colored button located on the right side of the instrument. It also comes with a support stand for hands-free operation.
For better grip and control, this device features a soft rubber grip that prevents your circuit tester from getting damaged. Along with the main instrument, users will also receive two test leads, a 9 Volt battery, and an instruction manual. However, it’s a great digital multimeter available in the market.
- Large digital display with LCD backlight button.
- It offers a sampling speed of 2 times per second.
- Comes with an impressive 10-year warranty.
- The display makes 3 ½ digits (1999 count).
- Overload Protection and Low-battery Reminder.
- Continuity testing function may display inaccurate readings.
You can check out:
Buying Guide For Best Multimeter for Electronics:
We all have to agree that the market is loaded with tons of multimeters. However, going for a multimeter that is long-lasting, worthy, and best-performer will do the job. Most people think that cost is the only factor while buying any new instrument/tool. However, there are various parameters to look for while purchasing the best multimeter for electronics. We’ll be mentioning them in this segment.
If you are a first time user or DIYer’s and not aware about the process of use a multimeter, you should check out our step by step guide of how to use a voltmeter.
An advanced multimeter has various functions to perform, which will be used by you someday or not. However, it would help if you did not skip any of the basic features(mentioned below) while buying a new multimeter for home use or any professional activity.
- AC/DC Voltage and Current – The digital multimeter you’re going to buy should obviously be capable of measuring voltage and current with a high level of accuracy.
- Resistance – Resistance measurement is another important factor to consider while you’re dealing with electronics and electrical equipment. Don’t skip this function.
- Continuity: Continuity is tested between two ends of an electrical cord. Your multimeter must come with the ability to measure continuity. Make sure you switch off the power supply for this purpose.
- Frequency and Temperature: A digital multimeter doesn’t need to measure frequency and temperature. But if you’re involved in these tasks specifically, then don’t miss these functionalities.
Display (Backlight vs. No Backlight):
Usually, the display of a digital multimeter is bright and large. The main reason behind the large and bright display is to make readings clearly visible. These displays generally consist of four digits, starting either from 0 or 1. While some displays also show positive and negative readings. In fact, there are displays for separate AC/DC readings.
Another point of discussion is whether or not your VOM comes with a backlight display. If you’re an electrician who usually works indoors or in low-light areas, then buying a multimeter with a backlight display should be your pick. However, there’s no harm even if you don’t use this feature.
Leaving everything aside, one should consider the user’s safety first. Nowadays, digital multimeters are generally considered safe when arriving with CAT ratings. You must make sure that the circuit tester you are going to buy is entirely safe. Here are certain points to remember:
- CAT I: The multimeters with CAT I rating are only used in circuits when not connected to a power supply. Usually, they are used with 24-volt circuits. Along with this, you can also use them for electronic testing.
- CAT II: The multimeters with CAT II rating can be used with plugged-in electronic devices within a 100A circuit. It’s for circuits between 110V – 240V. This kind of multimeter is suitable for domestic loads and appliance testing.
- CAT III: The multimeters with CAT III rating are often known as all-round instruments. This kind of multimeter is suitable for every device, which is connected to the main circuit breaker. They come with a variety of applications, including commercial lighting and small industrial usage.
- CAT IV: The multimeters with CAT IV rating is applicable for residential usage, commercial usage, and power lines. It allows users to use it with a direct power source.
Auto Shut-off Feature:
The life of your VOM mainly depends on the battery equipped. Every buyer looks for a digital multimeter that lasts long for an extended period after every charge. To save your multimeter’s battery life, you should look for the ‘Auto Power Off’ feature. You may not face many difficulties as most of the models come with this feature.
Based on the model you are buying, some multimeters switch off automatically after 10 minutes of inactivity. At the same time, some multimeters create a beep sound before switching off automatically. However, this feature may turn out irritating(for selective users); so, look for a multimeter where you can disable the auto turn-off feature.
After having a serious discussion on the best multimeter for electronics, it’s time to wrap-up the show. We’re quite sure that you are well aware of digital multimeters by now and all ready to wishlist your favorite. However, if you’re still in a dilemma of picking the best model, then the following are our top picks.
Fluke 287 True-RMS Multimeter will be our first pick for any user. The high-quality design and excellent functionalities will never disappoint electronic enthusiasts. It comes with True RMS, low battery indicator, low impedance, and other key features.
Next, we’ll pick Klein Tools MM700 Multimeter is one of our favorites. The brand ‘Fluke’ assures top-notch performance and reliability to their consumers. It comes with all the necessary features required for troubleshooting electrical problems.
For budget buyers, WeePro Vpro850L Digital Multimeter is a real deal-breaker. This basic digital multimeter costs around 10 USD, which will increase the worth of your toolkit for sure. It has a large display with an LCD backlight for enhanced visibility. That’s all for now. Hopefully, we’ve helped you in bringing the best multimeter for your toolkit.