Are you suffering from sciatica or any other chronic lower leg/back pain? If yes, then follow us on our Best Chair For Sciatica.
The research said that almost 80 percent of people in the United States face back pain. As of now, most of us are living a desk-bound lifestyle – or sitting in the same position for a greater duration that isn’t good for our health.
No worries anymore!
As we’re back again with the best chair for sciatica review.
It’s always a challenging task to stay productive while suffering from sciatica. People going through it aren’t able to focus on their work because of the pain and distraction.
Additionally, living a sedentary lifestyle has various threats to your health, including obesity, diabetes, lower back pain, and heart diseases. You can reduce these threats by performing physical activity regularly.
However, it doesn’t look possible for people working on a desk all day long.
Let’s have a high-level view of the models we selected for the best chair for sciatica in 2020. In just a moment, we’ll introduce our top-pick chairs after researching for about hundreds of hours.
So let’s begin.
What Is Sciatica?
Before we go ahead and look at our top-list, it’s essential to learn a few things about sciatica and sciatic nerve pain.
The longest nerve in the human body is the sciatic nerve. Beginning from the lower back, it passes through your hips, down to the legs, and into the feet. Sciatica occurs when this sciatic nerve is pinched at any point. The amount of pressure experienced determines the intensity of pain you are going to face.
Sciatica usually affects only one leg. People can feel the pain from the lower back, buttocks down to the thighs, legs, and feet. The sensation could be mild pain, burning pain, or loss of sensation in the mentioned regions.
According to Mayoclinic, when a disc in your back (called herniated disk) is pressing the nerve causes sciatica pain.
Top-8 Best Chairs for Sciatica:
Modway Edge is a fantastic office chair for sciatica sufferers under a nominal price of $150. Modway is a popular name known for manufacturing high-quality office furniture. This Edge office chair comes with a unique breathable mesh back material, ensuring a comfortable sitting experience. Additionally, the vinyl-covered sponge seat is another plus point. At the bottom, you’ll find two easy-glide casters to move the chair conveniently. Overall, it’s a great option available for buyers.
- Weight Capacity: Modway Edge Mesh Black and White office chair come with a maximum weight limit of up to 330 pounds. It’s an ideal pick even for heavy adults.
- Ergonomic Support: A padded waterfall seat, lumbar support, and breathable mesh back allow the chair to adjust according to your needs. It also improves circulation in your legs.
- Synchronized Tilt: You can tilt the chair backward using the synchro-tilt and tension control. It also comes with a one-touch height adjustment mechanism.
- Flip-up Arms: For added comfort, Modway Edge Office Chair features flip-up arms to rest your hands. They can flip up to 90 degrees when not in use.
- Color Variants: Modway Edge is available in various colors, including Black, Brown, White, Tan, Red, Gray, and Blue. Pick any of your favorite colors.
- Ergonomic features provide comfortable seating.
- Available in various color options.
- Dual caster wheels for easy movement of the chair.
- It will cost around 150 dollars.
- Great for people suffering from sciatica.
- You need to do some assembling.
- Durability for long-term is questionable.
Office Star’s ProGrid line of chairs is a popular series of office chairs. They manufacture high-quality and valuable chairs for competitive prices. This chair comes with the Greenguard certification, assuring that all the components and construction process lies under acceptable ranges. It also features various ergonomic adjustments, including a 360-degree swivel, a seat slider, forward pitch, and seat depth adjustment. The chair weighs 50 lbs and measures 27.8″ x 29″ x 42.6″ in terms of specs. Altogether it’s a fantastic option to consider.
- Weight Capacity – Office Star High-Back Managers Chair is strong enough to hold users weighing up to 250 lbs. It’s an ideal choice for all types of people.
- Lumbar Support – The mesh back of Office Star ProGrid comes with built-in lumbar support, which reduces pains while sitting for a longer duration. It also provides a structure for your lower back.
- Adjustable Height – You can easily raise or lower the chair’s height using the One Touch system. There’s an easy-to-access button that makes it possible.
- Adjustable Armrests – Office Star ProGrid comes with polyurethane padded leather armrests. You can adjust its height and width according to your preference.
- Fixed Back Height – You can choose between two models: a mid-back or a high-back variant. The higher back model is an ideal choice for taller people, providing extra support.
- Casters at bottom will provide smooth movement.
- Breathable back mesh material is comfortable.
- Seat cushion is soft, dense, and comfortable.
- Available in two variants: high-back and mid-back.
- Available only in black color option.
- No guide on how to use the adjustment levers.
Steelcase Leap is one of the best fabric chairs for sciatica available in the market. The Steelcase Leap’s seat design is quite impressive, which doesn’t cut-off the flow of blood to your legs. It’s not the most padded chair available in the market but can deliver a delightful seating experience. Users can adjust the recline angle from 90 to 120 degrees for added comfort. Overall, it’s a fantastic chair that comes with a variety of well-implemented ergonomic features.
- Weight Capacity – Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair supports people weighing up to 300 pounds. It will support teens, adults, and heavier individuals as well.
- LiveBack Technology – It comes with a unique slatted design that bends when you apply pressure on it. Whenever you move, the chair will respond to deliver the best support.
- Adjustable Back Firmness – Users can see a pair of dials on the chair, accessible even in a seated position. They allow you to control the upper and lower portion of the chair.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support – It’s a good feature for sciatica sufferers. This chair allows you to customize the amount of support for your lower back. Now, no need to worry about sitting all-day anymore.
- Color Options – Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair is available in a variety of different colors. It comes in Black, Burgundy, Alpine, Blue, Cyan, Nickel, Navy, and many more.
- Available in numerous color variants.
- LiveBack Technology is worth every dollar spent.
- Adjustable Lumbar Support is essential for sciatica sufferers.
- Made from breathable mesh-like material.
- It can hold adults weighing up to 300 pounds.
- Not every buyer can afford this chair.
- No back height adjustments.
Ergohuman High Back is a sturdy swivel chair that comes with a lifetime warranty and incredible customization flexibility. The waterfall-edge seat design and customizable lumbar support are essential factors to consider. It also comes with the three-setting tilt and lock mechanism, allowing users to adjust the reclining angle to 90°, 110°, or 135°. You can also swivel the armrests to 45 degrees in either direction and adjust their height as well. Overall, it’s a great back pain office chair for long-term usage.
- Weight Capacity – Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair offers a maximum weight capacity of up to 250 pounds. Anyone under the weight limit can feel the experience.
- Lumbar Support – Ergohuman is popularly known for its incredible lumbar support. The lower portion of the backrest pushes out further to support your back. Also, it is auto-adjusting.
- Headrest – Unlike other chairs, this model comes with a typical neck roll headrest. You can rest your head against it for better comfort. It is adjustable up to 2-inch adjustments.
- Arm Pads – The arm pads on the Ergohuman chair are very soft and supportive. It will support your arms for long hours. You can slide them forward and back as well.
- Color Variants – Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair is available in six color options: Blue, Black, Burgundy, Copper, Green, and Grey. Every variant looks pleasing and fantastic.
- Armrests are adjustable and pretty comfortable.
- Available in six exciting color options.
- Ergohuman offers a lifetime warranty on their chairs.
- A comfortable headrest also exists.
- Made from 97 percent of recyclable materials.
- You cannot fully recline this chair.
- May be out of budget for many buyers.
Next in our line-up is a big and tall office chair (instead of a regular mesh chair). BestOffice Big and Tall is a highly-functional office chair made with plenty of features. It has a nylon frame and alloy steel construction. The chair features a high-density sponge cushion with extra thickness, providing more comfort and flexibility. At the bottom, you’ll find four durable casters with 360° swivel for smooth rolling over the surface. Overall, it’s another popular office chair to consider.
- Weight Capacity – BestOffice Big and Tall Office Chair is purely designed for heavy adults. It comes with a maximum weight capacity of up to 400 pounds.
- Lumbar Support – This office chair with a middle back design comes with adjustable lumbar support. It’s good for your back and neck. The nylon lumbar support will provide a delightful, reclining experience.
- Adjustable Armrests – Like other models, BestOffice Chair also includes ergonomic PU padded armrests with six adjustments. It’s time to relax with your preferences.
- Fully Adjustable – You can adjust the sitting style of the chair using the explosion-proof tray. There’s a handle wheel that can be pushed out or pushed in.
- Easy Setup – BestOffice Chair comes with all the necessary parts, hardware, and tools. It’ll require only 10-15 minutes to assemble the chair. You can follow the instructions mentioned.
- Adjustable lumbar support to relief from sciatica pain.
- Gets fully assembled in 10-15 minutes.
- Armrests are adjustable up to six height levels.
- Sponge seat has extra thickness for more comfort.
- It can hold a weight of up to 400 pounds.
- Available only in one color option, i.e. black.
- Only 30 days warranty provided.
Serta Mid Back Desk Chair is an amazing, fully-functional model by a reputed company. They provide high-quality products and responsive post-sales support. The chair is comfortable enough to handle short to medium duration of sitting. There are five conventional polyurethane casters that perform well on hardwood, tiles, and carpets. It also uses a posture-correction tilt technology, which keeps your spine in the neutral position all time. Overall, you’ll have a great experience after owning this chair.
- Weight Capacity – Serta Executive Mid Back chair comes with a maximum weight limit of up to 250 pounds. It’s suitable for almost every type of individual.
- Back in Motion Technology – This technology allows the chair to tilt by itself as you lean forward. It provides constant lumbar support to users, helping them to gain a better posture.
- Adjustable Armrests – At the outer side of each armrest, there’s a button to customize its position for better body alignment. You can adjust the chair height using the control paddles under the chair.
- Mobility – Featuring a convenient swivel design and large rolling casters, the Serta Executive Mid Back chair is easy to move from one spot to another. It has a five-wheel design.
- Color Options – Serta Executive is available in different color options, including Black, Chestnut, Grey, Dark Grey, and Ivory. You may also find other colors as per the availability.
- It comes with five wheels for easy mobility.
- Available in different color options.
- Back in Motion Technology is a great feature.
- Good consumer service post purchase.
- You can adjust the chair height and armrests.
- Not as comfortable as other Serta chairs available.
- Maximum weight limit is moderate.
Let’s make our top-list more interesting by introducing Modway EEI-757-BLK Articulate Office Chair. This product has the perfect ergonomic support, including passive lumbar support and a 6-inch thick, breathable mesh back cushion. The cushioning is pretty comfortable and will take care of your spine. Additionally, the seat pad is made of high-quality fabric with the scratch-resistant property. The chair is also easy to assemble that would require somewhere between 15-20 minutes. Overall, it’s one of the best chairs for sciatica.
Weight Capacity – Modway EEI-757-BLK is a sturdy and robust office chair. It comes with a maximum weight capacity of 331 pounds, which is a great figure.
Adjustment Levers – You’ll find three adjustment levers beneath the chair. It includes separate levers for height adjustment, seat tilt adjustment, and back tilt adjustment.
Ergonomic Support – Modway Articulate comes with passive lumbar support, breathable mesh back, and a well-padded cushion seat for extra comfort and convenience.
Mobility – At the bottom, five dual-wheel casters glide smoothly over various surfaces. Users will face no hassle while moving the chair from one place to another.
Color Variants – Modway EEI-757-BLK Articulate is available in six color options: Black, Blue, Brown, Grey, Green, and Red. Every color option will enhance your cabin’s look.
- Featuring adjustable armrests for more comfort.
- Easy to assemble within 20 minutes.
- Breathable mesh fabric doesn’t let you sweat.
- Excellent lumbar support for sciatica sufferers.
- Available in different color variants.
- Instructions are not clear and descriptive.
- Height adjustment may fall down when at highest.
Alera Elusion is a popular name in the industry. Also, it’s one of the most versatile and flexible office chairs available. Alera Elusion offers tremendous functionality for a reasonable price. It comes with a five-star base that includes caster wheels for easy mobility. You don’t need to pick the chair while changing its position. In terms of specs, this chair weighs 57.2 pounds and comes with dimensions of 28.35 x 25.2 x 16.54 inches. Overall, it’s another high-quality office chair for sciatica.
- Weight Capacity – Alera Elusion Series High-Back Chair can hold a maximum weight of up to 250 pounds. It’s not the maximum but ideal for various people.
- Waterfall Seat Edge – This design promotes better blood circulation leading to more comfort and energy. It’s an outstanding feature for people who sit for extended periods.
- Lumbar Support – The high-back design gives comfort to your upper body and spine. It also includes a built-in lumbar to improve your sitting experience.
- Multifunction Mechanism – Alera Elusion comes with a solid adjustable setting profile. It allows you to perform back angle, tilt, and forward tilt adjustments.
- Adjustable Armrests – There are height and width adjustable armrests with soft polyurethane pads. It has a typical slant T-Bar design, which will relax your hands conveniently.
- Easy to assemble without any hassle
- Offers a next level of adjustments and customisations.
- Delivers excellent lumbar support throughout.
- It comes with a 24-inch high backrest.
- T-Bar armrest design is amazing.
- Available only in a single color option (black).
- Not ideal for people with small body frame.
How To Reduce Sciatica Pain?
The first thing you can do to reduce sciatica pain is investing in a great office chair for back pain. You don’t need to travel anywhere to do so.
All you’ve to do is look at our Best Chair for Sciatica, mentioned above. Additionally, it would help if you consider these following factors in the frame:
Always maintain a good body posture while sitting:
Sitting on a best chair for back pain will relax your spine and prevent you from sciatica nerve pain. However, make sure that you maintain a correct body posture while sitting on the chair. Make sure you follow these points mentioned below:
- The knee angle should be at the right (90 degrees) or more.
- Keep your feet flat on the surface.
- The workable should be 8 or 9 inches above the height of the seat.
- The desktop screen should be slightly lower than your eye level.
- Avoid sitting in a cross-leg position.
Use extra cushions to support your back and hips:
Unfortunately, due to some reasons, if you’re not able to buy a new chair for sciatica, then you should use some extra cushions for your spine and legs. However, make sure that the cushions are soft and well-padded.
Overall, they will provide a comfortable experience as your office chair may lack padding and cushioning. We recommend our readers to check out the cushions with at least 3 inches of thickness. You can also check out best living room chair for back pain.
Keep performing physical activities:
Obviously, it’s one of the most natural ways to defeat sciatica pain. Gear up! Put your socks on! And find your way to the terrace, lawn, park, or stadium. If you can’t afford it, there’s no need to sweat out in the gym to exercise. You can do basic physical activities in your home to keep yourself fit and decrease sciatica pain.
Things To Consider While Buying a New Chair for Sciatica:
Buying a new chair for sciatica isn’t that easy you thought of. It would help if you considered certain factors before buying a new office chair for back pain. In this segment, we’ll look for those essential factors that one should keep in mind.
Adjustments & Customisations:
Always try to find a chair that allows you to adjust the height. As mentioned earlier, you need to sit straight with your feet flat on the surface. It will allow easy blood circulation in your lower body and reduce stress on the lumbar and hips. Thereby, you must take care of this feature while buying a new chair.
A chair with more adjustability allows your spine to rest against the curvature of your seat. It promotes more versatility and suits a large number of people. A comfortable chair can relief you all type of back pain.
A chair without armrests is of no use. Imagine you’re sitting on a chair with no armrests. Sounds weird, right. Exactly! Armrests help people relax/support their hands and prevent pressure on the upper back. Most of the models feature adjustable armrests that align according to your comfort and preference.
Ensure that your arms rest at a slightly downward angle, while the seat should be not extra soft. Finally, when your upper back is comfortable, it aligns properly with the lumbar. As a result, it reduces any risk of disjoint in these two. Don’t skip this feature.
It would be best if you were looking for a best office chair that is comfortable and durable. A chair made from strong material offers adequate support and a delightful seating experience. When you’re looking for the best chair for sciatica, it must be made of breathable material such as mesh upholstery or synthetic. This breathable material allows air to pass through the fabric so that you don’t sweat out. On the other hand, chairs made of leather material don’t keep your back cool. In this review, you’ll find some of the best breathable mesh fabric chairs.
You may interested in:
- Best Zero Gravity Chair
- Best Recliner For Back Pain
- 10 Best Recliner Chair
- Best Reclining Sofa
- Best Camping Chair for Bad Back
When you’re suffering from sciatica, the first thing to remember is maintaining a proper body posture. If you are doing so, the best chair for sciatica will do the remaining. This article introduces our readers to the best chair for sciatica available in the market for 2020. Hopefully, we have helped you in finding the perfect chair for your needs. All these models will definitely serve you very well.
If you’re looking for a high-back office chair, Office Star ProGrid High Back Managers Chair is a great option to consider. It includes all those necessary features that make it a qualified chair.
Next, Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair is another popular model for buyers. It comes with adjustable armrests, headrest, and incredible lumbar support.
Finally, if you’re a budget buyer, Modway EEI-757-BLK Articulate Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair is a solid option. You pay a little less, but it’s worth every dollar spent.
That’s all for now.