A digital multi meter is a piece of equipment that is used to measure electrical values for voltage, current and resistance. It is a conventional diagnostic tool for engineers in the electrical and automation industries.
Multi meters have been gaining popularity in the last few years and the trend is likely to gain ground with the addition of more users. “How to use a digital multi meter” is one of the most common questions among its users. Read on to find the answer to this question, get an insight into top multi meters available in the market and the benefits they bring to the table.
Have you ever wondered how Jarvis work? Just as doctors work with a stethoscope, programmers require Multimeters. It is one of the important instruments for engineers who work with electronics.
Apparently, it is the first instrument that is introduced when people start exploring electronics.
In this article, we will know about how to test voltage with the help of a multimeter.
Not only this, but we will also learn how to effectively use a diode, DC current, LED components and many more. These are extremely useful when you are trying to do things on your own.
- Method 1- Measuring resistance: Attach the multi meter to the circuit, turn the selector knob, switch off the power to the circuit, following this, you can eliminate the resistor, and take the reading of the display screen.
- Method 2- Measuring Voltage: Attach the multi meter to the circuit, set the multimeter for the voltage that you want to measure, calculate the AC voltage and install the probes in the component. Moreover, the next step is to observe the polarity while you measure DC current by using a digital voltage meter. Read the screen display and select the red terminals for 10 amps and black terminals for 300mA. Finally, set the multi meter to measure the current.
If you are wondering how to use a multimeter to test voltage, you must know certain basic things. You will come across two different voltages, one is DC voltage and the other is AC Voltage.
As all sorts of electronic devices use DC voltage, it is the most common measuring parameter.
To test the voltage, the position of the test leads and selection of the range/mode and the Com slot. The black test lead must enter the COM slot plus red lead must be in V slot. Select the mode and use the regulator like a knob in the middle multimeter.
Check out: How to connect Alexa to wifi
Table of Contents
How to use a digital multimeter to check voltage?
This is another question for people using a multimeter for the first time. Majority of the traditional multimeters can measure DC current. Place the black probe in the COMs slot and the red probe in the A slot. Current must perpetually be measured in series.
Some multi meters have a double-A slot, before connecting you must read the symbol. Choose the mode by twisting the knob in the symbol of DC current.
With these steps, you can understand how does a multimeter test voltage with ease.
You have come across batteries or wall outlets have different volts. This measures the electrical potential which the battery produces.
What moves electricity?
See, electricity passes from high voltage to low voltage. The prime check of a circuit board is to check the continuity of all the elements present in the board. Some models also allow checking the insulation.
If you want to to know how to test a circuit board, then read the following paragraph.
Open the circuit box and choose the breaker that you want to test. Turn off the light and appliances that power the breaker. Keeping the area dry unscrew the frame of the circuit breaker, you will see a breaker and set your multimeter to Volt AC. It enables the multimeter to offer accurate readings. This is how to test a circuit breaker with a voltage tester.
To use a digital multimeter in a correct manner, you must know the difference between voltage and current. In fact, current is the rate of electric flow and voltage is an electromotive force and is the possible difference of charge connecting two points in an electrical field.
If you want to know more about checking continuity with a multimeter, then read ahead. A multimeter is an ideal device for measuring continuity, it is an amazing tool that saves lives by helping to debug electric devices like headphones, breadboard connection.
Have a look at the kinds of probes available for how to use a digital multi meter to check voltage. They are banana alligator clips, banana to IC hook, Banana to tweezers, and banana to test probes. These are multimeter basics and can be used for several other purposes.
Check the manual which comes with the product package. Make sure you read it carefully. This is your best bet to learn the procedure of using improved microprocessors.
By doing so, you will also be able to collect the interpretations and data for additional processing.
Best Digital Multimeters
A digital multimeter is important for people who are in electronic and electrical sector. Fluke 101 digital multimeter is an obvious choice for such professionals. It sports an AVG responding plus a number of other features: 600 volts of DC, 600 volts of AC, a DC Accuracy of ± 0.5% + 3 digit, and an AC Accuracy is ± 1% + 3 digit.
Its resistance capacity is 40 M ohm, resistance accuracy is ± 1.5% + 3 digits and its safety rating is CAT III 600 volts. As far as its features are concerned, it involves a diode and a continuity test buzzer. Because the product does not have much weight, it is convenient to carry in the pocket.
Wondering how to use a multimeter to test voltage? Read the manual properly which comes with the product. The advantage of the Fluke’s digital multimeter is that a true-RMS meter is capable of displaying the original RMS voltage for each wave configuration which is fed in it and the results are accurate. The meters have limits over the shape of the wave and the frequency remains static. Moreover, they help to reduce interpolation errors.
Considerations to Choose the Best Digital Multimeter for Your Job
Picking up the appropriate digital multimeter would depend a lot on the purpose for which you wish to use it. You have to evaluate your multimeter basics and all other requirements. Moreover, you must also consider specific functions and characteristics.
Essential Factors to Take into Consideration
- Your task conditions regardless of whether it deals with voltage level, kinds of devices, or models of computations
- The resolution requirement along with the accuracy must starting from 6000, 20,000 or 50,000 depending on the usage.
- Special features, capacity, frequency, temperature, low impedance, data logging etc.
- The difference between voltage and current is a crucial part to consider when you are going to buy a digital multimeter.
Benefits of Using a Digital Multimetre
- A digital multimeter is more accurate than its analogue counterparts.
- For analogue, if you see the pointer from a specific angle, you might get a different value. But with digital ones, numeric display brings the solution to this problem.
- Digital multimeter displays lack moving components and therefore, they are less prone to damage and shock failures.
- The digital multimeter reading speed has been enhanced for faster and easier reading. The digital multimeter reading speed has been enhanced for faster and easier reading.
- With modern and enhanced processors, it measures voltage with more efficiency.
- Digital ones are able to answer the question of how to test a circuit board and are able to monitor the meter loading impacts on the circuits that undergo testing.
- A digital voltage meter is helpful for testing capacitors, transistors and diodes.
Investing some time in studying the manual will help you find out how to test a circuit breaker with a voltage tester. Before buying a multimeter’, make sure you go through the considerations stated above. For maximizing the scope of your choice, you can also check out the following options: